Thursday 11 December 2008

Path Continued

I'm taking too long sitting here thinking up an introduction, so I'll just jump straight in.

The first computer games created were made for two players, but from 1977 until 1993 the true nature of the anti social gamer burst forth and the game industry was dominated by games created for single players. One of the most widely known of these is Doom, created in 1993. It has been described as a highly influential game, leading the way proudly towards our beloved first person shooters. Created a couple of decades before and developed parallel to Doom were the "interactive fiction" class of games. To me these seem to be the predecessors of Modern Day role playing games with more focus on the playable story and less on fighting.

The first console I ever got was a Nintendo64. It was a join Christmas present for both me and my brother, and we played that little machine for hours on end. Some of the games on there that I enjoyed the most were Super Mario 64, MarioKart 64 and Goldeneye, and I have never beaten my brother at any of them even to this date.

No comments: